21 August 2011

What Every First Time Mom Should Read.

Ok.

So I am still pregnant, baby is two months away.

But I have felt overwhelmed by the amount of baby books out there. So I thought I would share what I have actually found useful.

And all though "What to Expect..." is an awesome read for most people, it made me feel stressed more than anything. I felt pressured to read weekly and to finish the entire chapter. Eventually I chucked it.

WHAT EVERY FIRST TIME MOM SHOULD READ, so far. 
Books that I have read all the way through (so far) without skipping a single word for fear of missing one iota of data, listed in no particular order:


I read this one before our baby was even a twinkle in our eyes, but I consider the information invaluable.
Yes, I still have yet to deliver, but I feel fully prepared with the information I need to make good decisions on the day of, and all of the decisions that need to be made leading up to the big event. This book is highlighted and marked COVER to COVER. And since I read it all on one of our Cross Country Road trips, Dom is totally filled in on all the necessary info as well...so when Dom has the presence of mind, when I do not, he can help me make the proper choices. I will be reviewing this one again when we get closer to the date. 

This one I was lucky enough to pick up on a bargain shelf a couple years ago. It was a buck and the title sounded so appealing. It sat on my bookcase until about a month ago. I was half way through and a full believer in Dr. Karp when Dom and I heard from our Birthing Class Instructor, that she recommends ABSOLUTELY no literature on the market, with the ONE EXCEPTION of this book. Needless to say this book is highlighted, dog-eared, and bookmarked for all the late, exhausting, frustrating nights ahead. If you only take my advice on one book, pick this one. 
If you are a skeptic, watch the DVD. Provides much of the important info from the book, with living breathing baby examples, and most libraries have it on hand...or they can get it for you via interlibrary loan. I read the book, then Dom and I watched the DVD (Less than 45 minutes running length). All time well spent. 


About 1 in 110 children are diagnosed with autism, and boys are 4 to 5 times more likely to have it than girls. So I feel it is important to be prepared. 
This is the first book I have read in regards to deciding on vaccinations. I read it in about 14 hours, including 8 hours of sleep, going to church, eating, etc etc. Jenny writes as though she is talking to you and it makes for a conversation you don't want to end. Her son has autism. And when the medical field failed her, she fought to improve her son's quality of life and instead of fixing his symptoms with "band-aids" and medication she opted to discover the true source of his problems. I am so happy that I read it, now I will know signs to look for in my children. Also I know what she believes to have caused autism in her son and the steps she took to pull him out of it. Yes, he is still autistic, but is now incredibly high functioning, and she says you can't pick him out of a crowd of other typical kids his age. (A vast improvement from the beginning of the book when her son was experiencing seizures that induced heart failure, wasn't speaking or responding at all, at was twirling in circles endlessly)
Louder Than Words has begun my journey to decide on the proper vaccination schedule for my son.
( I also have Dr Sears, The Vaccine Book, coming via interlibrary loan. I am excited to hear what he has to say. )


Speaking of Jenny McCarthy, this may not be the most important book to read. But it is a great break from the vast amount of important baby knowledge out there. Again it is a super quick read, the book brings up a bunch of stuff no one ever tells you. And it helps you to laugh at the changes ahead. I have read it three times over the past few years and will more than likely read it again someday. You don't have to be pregnant to enjoy this one!


This last one I finished yesterday. I'm not sure how it compares to other books on the subject. Breastfeeding should be an easy, natural, and obvious thing to do. But I myself am not so sure that it will come ever so naturally to me or my child, so I would rather be prepared a little ahead of time.
 (I know there are lactation consultants at most hospitals, and I have the gift of having an Aunt who helps women do this professionally, but still preparation is important).
Anyway, this one is loaded with info on why this is the best choice for you and your baby, info on techniques, and what to do when you have problems. It also lists the changes ahead that you should be prepared for. This one also read relatively fast. 

Well, fellow pregnant friends, I hope you take my advice on a couple of these. They were worth every minute of my time. I feel a little more prepared for the days ahead. 

And if anyone out there has suggestions for this list, I am happy to take them. I still have a few more months of preparation and I would like to read anything worth while. 

2 comments:

  1. I have read none of those, but have heard some really good things about some of them. I'm not a big reader, so I didn't read a whole ton of books before Jack was born. I read the "What to Expect..." book, but definitely not cover to cover! I don't know if I even completed any of the chapters....would just skim to find out what was going on with my little one :)

    Anyhow, the one sleep book that was very helpful for me was "12 Hours Sleep by 12 Weeks Old." I wish I had found it before Jack was 6 months old!! I like the routine that BabyWise lays out (eat, wake, sleep), but I had a really hard time letting Jack just "cry it out"...especially since I was nursing and never knew how much he actually got to eat. I was always afraid he might be hungry. The 12 Hours of Sleep book was really great for helping me figure out a methodical way to get Jack to sleep through the night rather than just letting him cry. I definitely recommend it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will add it to my pile of books here! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete