21 October 2010

Baking Powder Recipe

I know this is an odd thing to post. Especially as a first recipe, but as we rid our lives of chemicals, little by little, I have come to baking powder.

I had heard that baking powder is not good for you because it contains aluminum. So I promptly threw ours out.

Then I was in a pickle, always substituting soda for powder meant checking online every time I went to make something because I could never remember the conversion. (The conversion is pretty vague...something like you will need 2-3 times less baking soda than powder)

Anyway, I finally decided that there must be a better way.

And lo and behold some blessed person posted an aluminum free recipe for baking powder, thank you!

You will need:
Baking Soda
Corn Starch
Cream of Tarter.

The recipe is very simple For every 2 parts Cream of Tarter, you will need 1 Part of Baking Soda and Corn Starch. I used Tablespoons and made a small amount. But you can make as much or as little as you want. Don't you love the freedom? Throw it in a jar and save it for next time!
After all this you are probably wondering why no aluminum? Check it out here. It may be only trace, but like I said, baby steps to being as chemical free as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment