20 October 2010

Importance of Being Yourself

Sometimes I think that being yourself can be overrated and underrated at the same time.

God created us all different. Each with incredible talents. Each with weaknesses that can feel crippling. We are all unique in what we have to offer and unique in what we need. We must not use our strengths to hurt others, instead to build up. We also should not focus so on our weaknesses that we are dragging others down with us.

I feel an incredible draw within myself to remain unique, as I am sure many others do as well. I am not sure why I feel this way. But I do. I just want to be me, in a world where everyone else is just themselves. In a sense all of us a different pigment in a kaleidoscope world.

I love the people that have tattoos. I love the people that wear suits and ties everyday. I love the people who are consistent, solid. I love the people that are eclectic, always changing. I love the people who are defined by what the do professionally. I love that people that live for the weekend. I love the artists and the economists. I love the dreamers and the doers.

I feel giddy with delight at the thought of all of us mulling about in a world where there are tasks for us all. That there are places where we can be used just as we are and that there are some places that we will never fit in.

Today I took another step (albeit tiny and insignificant to anyone else) into the unknown world of just being myself. It was out of necessity that I started the task but it was out of desire to just be who I wanted to be that I finished it.

I had split ends; evil hair monsters that call for change. They screamed out to me everyday telling me that they were winning. Little bits of hair broke away every time I brushed it. It was awful and yet I did nothing.
Finally out of frustration and the coming trips to Vegas and Chicago that I made the appointment with Shawna, the secret weapon, just for a cut.
But as I was on the call, something beckoned within me for something more. This summer I had tried to get purple highlights before our trip, but failed. This time (although barred by the dress code at work) I stepped forward again, black instead of purple. And it is great. I feel myself and I don't care if anyone else hates it and really I don't care if anyone loves it. For now this is what makes me feel a little more like me.

Dear friends step forward. Do whatever it is that makes you feel like you. Whether it is painting your car pink, learning a new language, painting, filming, laughing. Whatever. Big or small. Just go do it. Make our kaleidoscope brilliant with uniqueness. I love your colors!

1 comment: