29 September 2011

Project Mania: Chevron Fabric

Sometime early this summer I found an amazing neon green and white chevron fabric (note the new blog background). Dom was not super into it, probably because I wanted to essentially drench the baby room in it. 
I can be a little over the top. 
Despite his distaste I bought a few yards and regretted not getting more. Now mind you I had no plans for it. Just that I loved it and no amount would be enough. Plus it was like 2 or 3 dollars a yard. 

 I hung it on the wall by a couple nails and paper clips just for inspiration and there it stayed for weeks. At times I wished that I had more so I could cover the wall with it.


Then I remembered the bulletin boards my dad made me out of ceiling tiles, wish I had pics somewhere. Ceiling tiles are the ABSOLUTE best bulletin boards, way batter than the standard cork kind, they are tons thicker and seem to take the abuse of constant mutilation with pins way better and can hold heavier objects.  Plus they are so cheap, you feel free to do whatever to them. I have painted mine, covered them in fabric and ribbons and when all is over you can toss it away if you want. 

So if you want an easy and cheap bulletin board, pick up a ceiling tile, or do like my dad did when he was young and tile an entire wall with it.

If you choose to go with paint, it is super easy just paint it with whatever you have got. Then for wall hanging you can screw or nail directly to wall, hot glue it, or get picture hanging hooks if you want to be legit. I recommend hot gluing the hook onto the board, it’s a little more secure than a tack nail would be.

Or you can cover it in fabric. Simply cut your fabric about 6 inches larger than your tile and pull the excess over the back and hot glue down. And presto! You are done. Now for hanging I decided to use some fun ribbon to hang them. Not totally committed yet, they could still be tweeked in the coming weeks. But if you like the ribbon hanging all you have to do is hot glue it to the back. Use a good big glop of glue to make sure it holds well.


I hope someday when you need a bulletin board you take my word for it and make your own. You really will love it!

Also you just got a sneak peak of the bird mobile!

No comments:

Post a Comment